Planning a Trip to South Africa
This is it! After getting my 3-weeks of vacation approved, I finally decided on my next destination. South Africa I come! After much back and forth between Indonesia and South Africa, I finally made my decision. The flight isn’t booked yet and I guess it won’t be written in stone until then but one thing is for sure, I won’t change my mind again!! Flight prices seem to be quite high this week so I’m hoping they will go back down soon so I can go ahead and book the flight. But… until then, I did start doing some research on what I plan to visit. So far, I’m interested in Drakensberg, drive down the wild coast, make a stop at Tsitsikamma National Park for some more hiking by the shore and then continue down the garden route and finally arrive in Cape Town (with a few days in the vineyards). This being said, there are so many other places I’d like to visit but there just isn’t enough time!
This is where I need your help! I’m debating on a few things.
- Should I rent a car or stick with Baz Bus?
- If I do rent a car, do I need an international license? Is it safe to drive in the wild coast?
- Any recommended “must-do” tours?
- What are the recommended backpacker spots on the wild coast and garden route?
- Where is the best place to mingle with locals? Somewhere between Durban and Cape Town…
- Is there a somewhat decent place to go on a safari along the way as well? After spending 5 days on a safari in the Serengeti, I’m not really up to going out of my way for Kruger National Park.
Any other information from people who traveled to South Africa would be so greatly appreciated!!